Another Day, Another Ride

Many years ago, my mother compared her life as a mother of nine children to a Merry-Go-Round. She said it felt like she stepped on each morning and spun around and around until the end of the day when she stepped off, slept a little, and got right back on the neext day.

Back then, I had no idea what she was talking about. But I do now.

Orthodox. Faithful. Free.

Sign up to get Crisis articles delivered to your inbox daily

Email subscribe inline (#4)

Friends and readers sometimes ask about the details of my days. I know of no better way to answer the “How do you do it?” question than to share some of those details, so here it is: the good, the bad, the ugly, and the mundane of a recent Wednesday’s “ride.”

6:30 a.m. I wake up to my alarm, dress groggily in the bathroom, and force myself to hit “play” on the DVD player in the living room for a P90X legs and back workout. As I lunge and lift, a few of the smaller kids come downstairs and play quietly, but they know better than to disturb Mama when she’s doing those crazy things to her body.

7:30 a.m. Dan gets up for work. While he showers, I sit in the living room with a cup of coffee and my Magnificat. I’m a Divine Office drop-out, and this is my happy compromise.

8:00 a.m. I make breakfast for Dan and the five or so kids who are up. Cinnamon oatmeal. Don’t get excited — it’s instant.

8:15 a.m. Dan leaves for work and I shout up the stairs for the kids who are still sleeping (Ahem! The big boys!) to get up and get moving.

8:30 a.m. I answer emails, tweet a little, check my calendar, and plan my day.

9:00 a.m. We begin school work. Older kids work independently while I check spelling lists with the middle kids, help the second grader with alphabetical order, and correct the fifth-grader’s fractions. The kindergartener runs and hides when I pull out his reading book and call his name.

10:00 a.m. We take a break and read Winnie the Pooh. The real one. I’m a Winnie the Pooh snob. Then it’s back to fractions and punctuation.

10:30 a.m. I start a load of laundry and check the kitchen. My oldest daughter has unloaded the dishwasher, so I refill it with breakfast dishes and start it again.

10:45 a.m. Fourteen-year-old Eamon brings me his grammar book and we get caught up on a week’s worth of oral grammar drills. I call for the kindergartener again. I find him immersed in a game of army soldiers and decide to leave him for now.

11:00 a.m. A gas truck pulls into the driveway, but when the delivery man observes that there is no path shoveled in the snow between the driveway and the tanks, he leaves. I email Dan at work to let him know, and he asks me to check the gas tank levels.

Eamon offers to go out, but I tell him it’s no problem for me. I am Mom; hear me roar. I put on snow boots with a wool coat and head out into the single-digit temperatures. I walk on the ice-crusted snow only a few steps before crashing through. The snow comes up . . . oh, about mid-thigh on me. It only takes 25 minutes to extract myself from the snow bank and return to the living room. Eamon straps on snowshoes and heads outside.

11:30 a.m. Dan arrives home on a few minutes’ break from work. I move laundry from the washer to the dryer and throw in another load. I check emails and review my high schoolers’ schoolwork, which they have emailed to me. After reading 15-year-old Kateri’s notes on On the Union of Greece to Resist Persia, I notice she is tweeting from the upstairs computer. About Taylor Swift’s newest video.

12:00 p.m. I make lunch for the kids — ten grilled cheddar cheese sandwiches served with crackers and cookies.

12:30 p.m. While some kids eat and others play on the computer, I drill Stephen on his multiplication tables and grade Gabby’s math work. It’s messy, but 100 percent correct.

1:00 p.m. I call for the kindergartener and he comes running. Upon seeing his reader in my hand, he collapses on the floor in a fit of protest. I hand the book to his older brother and send the two of them into another room to practice sounding out. I drink a cup of coffee while Stephen reads me a chapter of his current book, Henry Huggins.

1:45 p.m. I tackle a painful health insurance project I have been putting off for far too long. Prescription medications for one of my sons cost several thousand dollars a month — a bill that our insurance scarcely begins to cover. We qualify for co-pay assistance, but we need to apply for that assistance. I research websites, make phone calls, fill out forms, and photocopy bills and tax documents. I loathe this stuff, but tell myself it’s like I’m getting “paid” several thousands of dollars a year to do it, so I don’t whine. Too much.

3:00 p.m. I move laundry from the washer to the dryer again. Four-year-old Daniel “helps,” and the clean stuff is piling up in the bathroom. The older kids finish up schoolwork, 11-year-old Juliette makes cheesecake for dessert, and the youngest kids play Nerfoop in the living room.

3:45 p.m. I take Stephen along to the local grocery store where I fax the aid applications and pick up a few things for dinner. We stop at the pet store (our bunny needs a litter box!) and post office (I need my coffee from Amazon subscriptions!) before heading home.

4:00 p.m. Gabby sits next to me and reads a chapter of Ramona the Pest aloud while I fold laundry. I call the kids to pick up their piles of clean clothing to return them to their dresser drawers.

4:15 p.m. I put water on the stove to boil for a pasta dinner and then drive Eamon to the school for his basketball game. Sitting in the parking lot for a few minutes, I make phone calls and catch up on emails.

4:45 p.m. I arrive home to make dinner. I decide to get fancy and add some fresh rolls to the menu. Ambrose helps with these. I pause briefly to consider what Ma Ingalls would think of serving dinner rolls that pop out of a can, but quickly decide that she would approve. She was practical like that.

5:00 p.m. I serve dinner to the kids and then email Dan, who is still at work, to let him know I won’t be home when he arrives. I am bringing Kateri to a parish youth group meeting and will be working on my new book project. He emails back: “Ok.” We are master communicators like that.

6:00 p.m. I drop off Kateri at her meeting and head to a nearby library with my laptop where I bask — bask, I tell you! — in the complete and utter silence. I take a deep breath, and then I write and I write and I write. And then I write some more.

9:00 p.m. I pick up Kateri and head home. It’s a 30-minute drive and I relish this time alone together, where we chat and I connect a bit with my teen daughter’s heart. I like what I find there.

9:30 p.m. I arrive home where Dan has the household under control, but no kids are in bed yet. Together, we get the stragglers through pajamas, prayers, potty trips, and tooth brushing. I line up the cough-ers for their nighttime medicine and then carry Daniel upstairs to tuck into bed.

9:45 p.m. When I arrive downstairs, Dan greets me with a glass of wine and suggests we watch a movie together. It feels like the first time I’ve seen him all day.

12:00 a.m. I shower, load and start the dishwasher, and head to bed. Lying quietly in the dark, I pray.

Thank you, God, for the gifts of my husband and children. Thank you for the gift of another day and another ride. Amen.


  • Danielle Bean

    Danielle Bean, a mother of eight, is Editorial Director of Faith & Family. She is also author of My Cup of Tea: Musings of a Catholic Mom (Pauline 2005) and Mom to Mom, Day to Day: Advice and Support for Catholic Living (Pauline 2007). Her blog is a source of inspiration, encouragement, and support for Catholic women of all ages and life stages.

Editor's picks

Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00

With so much happening in the Church right now, we are hard at work drawing out the battle plans so we can keep the faithful informed—but we need to know who we have on our side. Do you stand with Crisis Magazine?

Support the Spring Crisis Campaign today to help us meet our crucial $100,000 goal. All monthly gifts count x 12!

Share to...