Time for some links to get the morning rolling:
- As if the bill weren’t already controversial enough: The Senate Armed Services Committee approves an amendment to the bill seeking the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” that would allow abortions at military hospitals.
- Pope Benedict reaffirms celibacy during the closing events for the Year of the Priest: “Celibacy ‘is made possible by the grace of God … who asks us to transcend ourselves.’ Celibacy would be a ‘scandal,’ he said, only in ‘a world in which God is not there.’”
- The International GfK “Trust Index” shows faith in the clergy falling (presumably because of the scandal)…. but at least it’s still higher than faith in politicians. [H/t Deacon Greg]
- 16-year-old Californian Abby Sunderland was found alive and well today, after she was feared missing at sea in her attempts to sail solo around the world — but the incident has sparked debate again about whether a person so young should be alone at sea in the first place.
- Sister Mary Jane: Nuns busted for growing pot in convent garden.
- “You will not fear”: Fantastic photo of faith in wartime.
Orthodox. Faithful. Free.
Sign up to get Crisis articles delivered to your inbox daily