Happy Feast of the Annunciation! I hope you’re all taking advantage of the solemnity to have some bacon with your breakfast. And now for a few links:
- The four New York Times reporters who went missing in Libya tell the story of their capture by Qaddafi’s forces, and their ultimate release.
- “Annulment Nation”: Jeff Ziegler notes that the United States has only 6 percent of the world’s Catholics, and yet those Catholics account for 60 percent of the world’s annulments. What’s going on here?
- Father Longenecker writes on the dangers of putting priests on pedestals — both for the faithful and for the priests.
- Can church make you fat? One Northwestern study claims that young people who are actively involved in church ministries have a 50 percent greater chance of being overweight in their middle age.
- People say The Wire is more like a Dickensian novel than a TV show; naturally, it was only a matter of time before someone actually turned it into a 19th-century novel. I particularly like the sketches of Omar.
- First it was those videos of blowing people up who didn’t want to cut carbon emissions; now this little brainwave to get people to participate in “Earth Hour” tomorrow. Seriously, why does saving the earth always have to be so scary?
Orthodox. Faithful. Free.
Sign up to get Crisis articles delivered to your inbox daily